Sith in Wonderland




Thanks to writing group I got some quickie sketching done while listening to other readers. The topics right now for Drawergeeks and ToonClub are Design a Sith and Mad Tea Party.

Siths are, for you lucky non-nerds, Jedi folk who have turned to the dark side. This Sith, I like to imagine, is called something silly like Darth Monocle and has an ongoing feud with Ewoks and Yoda's people. I doubt his midichlorian count is very high.

Regarding writing group, I've been asked to help out at their first annual three day conference. I'll be giving a talk on writing and drawing comics. It will focus on the importance of comic anthologies and how to make tackling a large project like a graphic novel less intimidating. If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, definitely come check it out. The conference runs from Feb 22-24, I'm not certain which day I will be speaking as I just confirmed last night. I will probably be the only speaker focusing on art and comics, however, there were be tons of other great speakers talking about writing, characters and story. There will also be literary agents attending and other fun stuff. Early registration ends November 14th.

Comments

mike said…
i love what you did with his lightsaber! very cool. i still ahve to come up with some sithy name for mine...

best of luck at the conference!
Gabriel Olson said…
Just took a look around your blog. Very nice.
I am always so excited to see you update! :) Have you been working on the novel?
Nov. 14th is also my birthday, hah.
I start animation, sequential art, animal drawing etc next semester!
Tanja said…
The writer's conference in Feb '08 sounds pretty interesting...have you attended any of their previous ones? As an attendee I mean, not as presenter...although your effort in the upcoming one would definitely be something I'm interested in checking out. :) I'm rather curious how it compares to the SCBWI event up in NYC...
http://www.scbwi.org/

Oh, and as usual, your sketches are quite fun! :D
Vanhoozerbot said…
Yay! A new post!

Mr. Sithy McSith looks all miffed. Like, maybe an Ewok broke his toaster. Those little buggers like to put their bread into the toster with the jam already on it. Really messes the toaster up. So, I really don't blame this guy. Love his scowl.

And Alice's party looks fun. Great drawing! I love that the Mad Hatter is pouring the Stewed Mouse tea directly into his mouth. That takes a lot of practice. The character design here is oh so sweet.

Great work as usual. Thank you for kick starting my brain this morning.

Jeremy
Kim Herbst said…
Ahh you mentioned midichlorian! I don't feel so nerdy now. A really great design for his light-saber placement! I'd hold grudges against lil teddy-bear looking creatures that use rocks and sticks to take down an entire empire too. Alice and the gang look great as well, love their expressions!
Good luck at your conference!
CyberKitten said…
Just found your blog completely by accident whilst searching on Google images.

*Most* impressive!
Nathan Lindsay said…
Awesome sarah! (though the one you thing you forgot was to actually POST it on Toonclub).
Tanja said…
"...I've been asked to help out at their first annual three day conference..."

In my excitement over the info (and the sketches) that you posted, I managed to speed read right over that bit. D'oh! So, please ignore my previous post...*blush*
seamas said…
wow--your style is most excellent--thank you for sharing!
BJ Crawford said…
nice work, sarah! excellent as always:)

bj
Breadwig said…
Ha, the way you've placed these on your blog, it looks like the Sith is looking at the tea party and wondering, what the... Anyway, love them both.
Jose Ramos said…
wonderful works here , Sarah , what program do you use??

visit my blog!
Brandon Waltman said…
i love your depiction of the characters. alice and the rabbit are my favorite. the rabbit kind of looks like he might be an alcoholic but i like it.
Ken said…
love these, esp the first one
Kei Phillips said…
i love these! great work
KAHNEHTEH said…
You're such a nerd, Sarah! It's awesome that you managed to drop a Midichlorian ref in the post. Nerd!

Anyway, both images look lovely. Whenever I can't think of anything t draw I end up going to my old stand-by in the Alice in Wonderland cannon. I absolutely love your style and your approach.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Eric.

BTW, the colors are so exquisite. You color folk are a site to behold.